james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: JAMES technology uplift
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 21:13:39 GMT

> From: Søren Hilmer wrote:

<snipped/>
> >> Also I might be wrong, but as we talk directly to the network, the
> >> authorized way to integrate into an EJB container is through a JCA
> >> adapter, and they are kind of beastly to implement :-)
> >
> > Unfortunately, you aren't wrong :-)
>
> No, actually I did not believe I was :-)

As I received this several time I guess you really must believe this :-)

In truth, while the JCA spec. is somewhat opaque, implementations are not so
hard. Its best learnt by looking at working example source code.

As I've said before, this would be an excellent starting point for exposing
James to the J2EE environment. Perhaps a summer of code '08 project could
address exposing a small but useful set of James interfaces via a JCA such
as mail injection and mailbox retrieval?

While this is orthagonal to the question of how we might 'uplift' the
technology on which we build James, it would enable tighter integration. It
would make James attractive as a email integration point in the SOA world.

Cheers

-- Steve