james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Questions on the Mail and MailRepository interfaces
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 17:50:49 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> I think SMTP relaying is a common use case for JAMES Server and one of
>> the main goals so we should keep this in high consideration.
>
> ACK. I'll go for a single binary stream per message for now. We can
> revisit that decision later if we want to look at better supporting
> IMAP and webmail scenarios.

ok!

>> > Personally I don't see the exact storage requirement as essential, as
>> > the mail specs explicitly allow all sorts of intermediate nodes to
>> > perform various types of reformattings on messages while in transit.
>> > Things should be fine as long as the original intended content is
>> > preserved.
>>
>> Are you sure? I don't agree on this.
>
> See the notes on email gateways in the SMTP specs.

Please note that a gateway is a very special use case: smtp spec define
a gateway an SMTP server that is a brindge between 2 different transport
layers.

SMTP relaying was the scenario I referred and it is not related to
gateways. Here are some interesting quotes from rfc2821:

   --
   In general, a relay SMTP SHOULD assume that
   the message content it has received is valid and, assuming that the

   --
   As discussed in section 2.4.1, a relay SMTP has no need to inspect or
   act upon the headers or body of the message data and MUST NOT do so

   --
   The following changes to a message being processed MAY be applied
   when necessary by an originating SMTP server, or one used as the

   --
   An Internet mail program MUST NOT change a Received: line that was
   previously added to the message header.  SMTP servers MUST prepend

Stefano