james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Questions on the Mail and MailRepository interfaces
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 22:12:49 GMT
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
>> Jukka Zitting wrote:
>> >
>> > ACK. I'll go for a single binary stream per message for now. We can
>> > revisit that decision later if we want to look at better supporting
>> > IMAP and webmail scenarios.
>>
>> ok!
>
> hold on a minute - i think we might be being just a little too hasty!
>
> noel, peter, danny and myself were talking through some advanced SEDA
> based architectures that will cluster well. jukka's exploding mail
> idea fits very well into this.

IMHO the basic version MUST support a simple unparsed stream. Everything
else should be done as an evolution.

Btw, who is Peter?

> designing a complete mail (not just email) storage solution around
> relaying IMHO doesn't really make much sense. however, it is a very
> useful extreme border case.

"border case"? I think many billions of mails are relayed every day on
the internet ;-)
Maybe this is not the best use case for JAMES Server, but this also
happened because we don't correctly support large message
streaming/relaying and big volume of messages.

> there are various ways that various types of mail can enter the
> system. the consensus was that it's best for the least possible amount
> of processing to be done initially (perhaps even just writing a
> temporary file and then writing the data to the permanent store using
> another thread)
>
> the first stage storage should just store the raw mail and basic
> meta-data about that mail. this should include some audit trail
> information about the original of the mail. (note mail here, not
> email.)

+1, so we need at least to be able to process raw main as the first
step, like I was telling to Jukka.

> later stages of processing could then explode the mail on demand. this
> would mean parsing the data and attaching the contents. the original
> data would still be available.
>
> - robert

Maybe we don't even need to keep the duplicate copy, but I don't care
too much about this part. I will concentrate on requirements for
stmp/pop3 and for smtp filtering and smtp relay. I know you are there
for the imap checklist!

Stefano