james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE/LICENSE, apache- prefix and other ASF best practices (Re: [mime4j] release plan for 0.3) [LONG]
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 13:31:34 GMT
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:

>> AFAIK the NOTICE we are generating in MIME4J is compliant, and it is
>> generated. What's the problem, then?
>
> there is no problem if they are compliant
>
> i haven't checked the NOTICE and i know of weaknesses in the current
> plugin. so it needs to be checked rather than just assumed to be
> correct. in particular, check that there are no documents without ALv2
> headers in the source.

I checked it, and it is correct (at least for my understanding of what
NOTICE/LICENSE should contain).

Bernd checked mime4j with RAT, we decided to leave 3 poms without
headers as is. They are copies of files released by jakarta-commons, so
we preffered to leave them "as is" (and they are really small files).

>> That said I think I just completed my duties on mime4j. IMHO everything
>> is ready for a release and our generated artifacts seems to be compliant
>> with any policy I heard of. If anyone wants a release just ask Norman to
>> take care of this (I don't have a signed gpg key so even if I wanted I
>> could not do the last missing step).
>
> a key with a strong web of trust is not required by policy: just a
> signature
>
> it's best practice to use a key with a strong web of trust but it's
> more important that the release is signed by the release manager who
> cut the release. the signature is primarily to allow infrastructure
> and the release manager to verify that an artifact was create by the
> release manager. all that requires is that the private key is kept
> safe and secure.
>
> - robert

Good to know! I think Norman is happy to take care of releasing and
Norman is even better fit for the task as he already worked with mime4j
code (maybe he can also test it on real applications) and he already
created a lot of official ASF releases. I've worked for many of them,
but never cut down one to the last step (even if I almost often assisted
the process).

Stefano