james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] release plan for 0.3
Date Sun, 13 May 2007 13:36:27 GMT
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just deployed snapshot builds for mime4j here:
>> http://people.apache.org/~bago/mime4j/
>
> it's best to prefix the jar names with 'apache' (eg
> apache-james-mime4j-0.3-SNAPSHOT-bin.tar.gz) since this allows
> trademark law to be used against anyone passing off bad jars

I see your point, but shouldn't this be discussed with the whole Maven2
community?

None of the jars distributed by ASF via Maven repositories (*MANY*
products) have the apache name in the jar !?! (well maybe a couple of
them have this prefix.. but a couple vs thousands)

Should we change every of our artifactId to include "apache-" ? We have
org.apache.james in the groupId for every artifact, but we don't have
"apache" for the artifactId (as I said before I'm not aware of any other
project using "apache" in the artifactId apart the
apache-jar-resource-bundle-1.2.jar I just added to the local stage folder).

> taken a quick look and the basics seem ok (haven't run RAT)
>
> mvn doesn't work for me when running against trunk

maven 2.0.6 > mvn -U -Plocal package

What's the error you get?

if it was the missing "apache-jar-resource-bundle" artifact I just added
it to the local repository (having it in the james-project local
repository hidden this problem to me).
Please tell me if this fixed your issue.

> the MANIFEST is very basic. i think that it looks better to include
> the implementation and specification stuff.

ok. added to the TODOs.

> the root source lacks NOTICE and LICENSE

Do you mean the source tree in svn or the source package? I believe the
source package containes the NOTICE/LICENSE.
About the svn source tree I posted a question on legal-discuss but I
received no answer about this:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200705.mbox/<463EFEEF.4080201@apache.org>

If they will reply that NOTICE and LICENSE are needed also in the svn
source tree then we should coordinate the Maven2 guys to avoid pushing
the use of the
"apache-jar-resource-bundler"+"maven-remote-resources-plugin"
combination because this leads to no LICENSE/NOTICE in the source tree.

Stefano