james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Questions on the Mail and MailRepository interfaces
Date Wed, 16 May 2007 13:26:48 GMT
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
>> > i've come to the conclusion that MimeMessage really isn't suitable for
>> > use in a protocol like IMAP. IMHO a different server side mail
>> > abstraction is needed.
>>
>> I not necessarily disagree with this, but I never found a real technical
>> motivation for this. Can you list yours?
>
> here are some off the top of my head:
>
> 1 a number of methods in MimeMessage return may bad data values rather
> than throwing exceptions

I agree.

> 2 MimeMessage does not play well with nio

I agree, but: does mime4j helps in this? I dedicated it really few time
and a lot of months ago, but if I remember correctly also mime4j gave me
problems when I approached seda.

> 3 the automatic type conversions are unhelpful

This is true for the mail server, not true (IMHO) for the mailet
specification: mailet author have probably better life with
automatically converted mime objects.

> 4 automatic encoding conversions are unhelpful

Same considerations as for 3.

> 5 MimeMessage has a tendency to thrown unhelpful runtime exceptions

I never found (or remember) this specific issue with MimeMessage, but I
admin this happens often in javamail classes.

> (i came up against more difficulties when trying to implement
> OpenPGP/MIME but i can't recall then in detail right now)
>
> - robert

Thank you, really.

Stefano