james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [mime4j] Licensing & Co.
Date Tue, 01 May 2007 21:53:47 GMT
Niklas Therning ha scritto:
> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>> RAT indicates that the following files are missing proper licensing
>>>
>> headers
>>
>> They were part of the initial import by Joe Cheng, and appear to have been
>> untouched since by anyone.  Has anyone asked Joe or Niklas about them?
>>
>> 	--- Noel
>>
> The shell scripts and perl scripts have been written by me a long time
> ago. I guess I must have done some copy and paste for the mimedump.pl
> script from examples of how to use MIME::Parser because I'm not very
> good at perl.  ;-) But I don't think that would be a problem, right?
> That's what examples are for anyway.

Yes, I found the original mimedump script. It was an 'Artistic License'd
file too. So the correct way is to publish it under the same licensing
terms if you change it.

That said I think that script was only useful to compare perl mime-tools
output with mime4j output. I think we need this only "offline" to
generate some more tests and to check that it compares the results from
mime-tools.

To be safe, from a legal/licensing point of view, I removed all the test
messages and the scripts in the bin folder. I then started creating some
new test message from scratch: we can add more tests as we like (ok,
this is a boring task, we'll do that to find bugs mostly), but in the
mean time we have a "releasable" source tree, that I think was the main
goal now ;-)

I attached the files I removed into the JIRA issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J-11
This way we can still use them as a reference, or use the mimedump to
generate new expected results (or better to compare the perl expected
results with our expected results).

Please, Niklas, take a look at the test artifacts I published here:
http://people.apache.org/~bago/mime4j/

Thank you,
Stefano