james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: JAMES technology uplift
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 11:18:11 GMT
Ahmed Mohombe wrote:
>> If it would be good for ASF mail delivery - I would not like to put
>> that on a test. ASF is sending quite a lot of mails!
> IMHO it would be the duty of the "JAMES team" to lobby this trial to the
> other ASF members
> to make a first try and get feedback what's required to be able to 100%
> run the entire ASF emails on JAMES.

One basic requirement is to handle tens of thousands of mails each day
very reliably.
=> We are only starting to make this testable (James Postage project).

Another requirement is to very flexibly handle management.
=> We are working on management features.

As long as we have not enough people working on these things, we are not
fullfilling these requirements.

Everyone is welcome to help and improve.

> It would be the ultimate argument for every manager for adopting JAMES.

 > In the last 4 years, I was always had to hear: "if it's not even good
 > for their own use, why should
 > it be good enough for us?" :).

Would be a strong argument, but probably not the ultimate one. When
chosing a product, check your own requirements, not the requirements of
others!

Even if the ASF infrastructure team is coming to the conclusing that
James is an option, I would not neccessarily suggest to change a running
system. Mail infra is very critical to the ASF!

   Bernd