james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: JCR back-end
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 13:44:09 GMT
Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,

>> My concerns where specific to a "product based on JCR, hosted
>> on JAMES project, not related to JAMES Server".
>

> Note that the use case I described (email archival) was an answer to
> your question about a potential standalone need for similar tools that
> we're going to write for James in the james-jcr sandbox. I'm not
> proposing that we actually implement such an application *within*
> James, but an external project might well be interested in reusing the
> content model and generic import and access tools that we'll implement
> for James.

I think it would be great from a Content Management POV to have this
working.
It would allow a CMS supporting JCR basically acting as an E-Mail server
and hence reuse/aggregate the emails with other content, e.g. attached
to projects or invoices or whatever.

Big +1 for such an endeavour

Cheers

Michi

> Basically the question of whether the code should be in
> james/server/sandbox or james/sandbox. For now I'm most interested in
> targeting just the James server, but if the result is successful I'm
> quite sure that there will be people who'd like to use the same
> content model and supporting code also for other email environments.
>
> Perhaps the optimal solution would be to have one generic component
> that depends only on things like mime4j or javamail and the JCR API
> and another component that contains the James-specific mailet and
> other bindings. But I guess it's easiest to start with just a single
> sandbox component for now and separate things when the code matures.
>
>> Even after reading your message I don't fully understand what you are
>> trying to describe.
>>
>> Is it a JCR client (GUI) specific to Email? Is it a library?
>>
>> Let's call it MCR (mail content repository): how would you describe this
>> "MCR" ? A library that allow you to do THIS, a server product exposing
>> this N services over XXX protocol. Is it instead a library that wrap JCR
>> to make it more "email" oriented?
>

> The email archival use case I described would store all email in a
> content repositor using the generic tools and content model from the
> james-jcr component that we're about to implement. On top of that an
> archive application would typically provide a (web) user interface for
> querying the email archives for various purposes, most notably to find
> all correspondence that's relevant to a given audit or lawsuit.
>
> The part that we'd implement in James is just the email to JCR mapping
> that we'll need in any case for using a JCR store within the James
> server.
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Michael Wechner