james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Questions on the Mail and MailRepository interfaces
Date Thu, 17 May 2007 13:55:37 GMT
Hi,

> As I suggested in another email I think the best solution is to have
> support of both type of objects in the repository and leave to the
> application the duty to convert from raw to parsed and back if needed.

I would rather make this decision right when the message enters the
system to avoid extra complexity and unnecessary processing steps.

We should probably keep the API generic enough that you can use both
types of mail repositories interoperably if you want, but it would be
up to the administrator to select whether the deployed server is a
relay or an originator (in which case there is no original source),
gateway (for example when modifying messages using mailets), or
delivery (IMAP/webmail, perhaps even POP) system, and to choose the
appropriate repository implementation for the intended purpose.

BR,

Jukka Zitting