james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: JCR back-end
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 12:55:27 GMT
Jukka Zitting ha scritto:
> Hi,

>> Can you make a rationale about a standalone product regarding JCR and
>> Mail but not involving JAMES Server ?
>> What exactly should such a component to?
>
> There's a *strong* need in many organizations to archive *all* their
> email in an easily searchable and integrateable repository. Currently
> many of the major content repository vendors are getting a large part
> of their revenue from selling such email archives.
>
> Such an archive is typically added as an extra component that is just
> fed by whatever email server the organization is using. Typically the
> email server just has a catchall forwarder that copies all in- and
> outgoing messages to such an archive.

Hi Jukka,

first of all I want to make clear that I don't have anything against JCR
and that I think it will be really useful inside JAMES Server. My
concerns where specific to a "product based on JCR, hosted on JAMES
project, not related to JAMES Server".

Even after reading your message I don't fully understand what you are
trying to describe.

Is it a JCR client (GUI) specific to Email? Is it a library?

Let's call it MCR (mail content repository): how would you describe this
"MCR" ? A library that allow you to do THIS, a server product exposing
this N services over XXX protocol. Is it instead a library that wrap JCR
to make it more "email" oriented?

I'm just trying to understand a vision (your vision) that I'm missing.

At the moment it still looks like something very specific to our mail
server: we could use JCR as the storage api for JAMES Server, and this
would let users to use other JCR tools to access the same content.

Stefano

PS: I'm not trying to criticize anything, I'm really interested
understanding the vision.

PS2: I'm almost sure that a JCR based backend will be a good thing to
JAMES. MY only doubt is about to make it THE api to our backend or
simply a possible implementation of our backend (and this depends mainly
on the POC results)