james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions on the Mail and MailRepository interfaces
Date Tue, 15 May 2007 08:25:24 GMT

> OK. I guess the attributes can be any serializable objects, so the
> implementation should use standard Java serialization in case it
> doesn't know the type of the attribute.

I *think* that we originally intended attributes to be String's, but
if they aren't strongly typed then I guess Serializable is correct.

> Is the repository implementation required to keep the original key
> (from mail.getName()) when stroring a new message, or can it replace
> it with an internal identifier?

Good question, In practice all our current implementations do.
The benefit is that it is possible to trace a message name in the
logs, however there is nothing (AFAIK) in the functionality which
depends upon the name staying the same. Each cycle of activity on a
Mail object begins with getting the name (or list of names) from the
repository, and any Store should (but may not) mark the end of a
cycle.

I guess you have to weigh up the cost of developing the code to keep
the name against the risk of name changes breaking something.

I would suggest that if this is a significant factor then we could
look in  more detail at James and try to design in this variability.

d.