james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Functional Testing
Date Thu, 31 May 2007 21:06:00 GMT
On 5/31/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/31/07, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
> > On 5/31/07, robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > opinions?
> >
> > Can you explain a bit, you lost me about half way through!
>
> maybe some examples will make things clearer...
>
> a functional test suite for IMAP might consist of a script which uses
> an IMAP client to perform a number of operations and records their
> results. the same functional test suite suite could be used to test
> alternative IMAP configurations supported by JAMES (for example
> unstaged and SEDA running against torque and JCR backends).
>
> a functional test suite for MailRepository might consist of a script
> of operations which calls through the interface and records the
> results. the same test suite could be used to ensure that every
> implementation is a satisfactory implementation.

Postage was intended to execute functional tests (what I called
end-to-end tests).
And in a way it is, only using very simple messages.
It is _not_ primarily for load/stress tests.

It uses implementations of an interface called MailFactory to generate
mail. The result mail is then checked by a corresponding
MailValidator.

This of course is limited to sending/checking mail. It does not cover
all the functionality beyond pure mail traffic like listing,
directories, moving, searching etc.

On a different note, some user back then noted that it could be
worthwhile to use JMeter as a test container infrastructure.

  Bernd