james-server-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: JAMES technology uplift
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 21:36:55 GMT

On May 3, 2007, at 2:55 AM, Søren Hilmer wrote:
> On Thu, May 3, 2007 11:40, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
>> On 5/3/07, Søren Hilmer <sh@widetrail.dk> wrote:
>>>
>>> Also I might be wrong, but as we talk directly to the network, the
>>> authorized way to integrate into an EJB container is through a JCA
>>> adapter, and they are kind of beastly to implement :-)
>>
>> Unfortunately, you aren't wrong :-)
>
> No, actually I did not believe I was :-)

They can definitely get a little convoluted, but you wouldn't need to
support transacted delivery, security or outbound connections which
does cut the problem space down considerably.  It'd definitely be a
doable task.  If you were to try it I'd recommend liberally swiping
ActiveMQ's Resoure Adapter code and just start tearing out bits and
reworking it for James.  I'm sure they have unit tests for it and
everything.

It's actually something I've hoped would happen.  I know at some
apachecon a couple years ago I cornered some poor JAMES developer and
bored him for a good 45 minutes on the benefits of having a JAMES JCA
adapter so people could write MDBs that consumed email.  Ok... so
maybe I did that more than once :)

-David