james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JCR back-end
Date Sat, 05 May 2007 08:49:46 GMT
>> Can you make a rationale about a standalone product regarding JCR and
>> Mail but not involving JAMES Server ?
>> What exactly should such a component to?
>
> There's a *strong* need in many organizations to archive *all* their
> email in an easily searchable and integrateable repository. Currently
> many of the major content repository vendors are getting a large part
> of their revenue from selling such email archives.
>
> Such an archive is typically added as an extra component that is just
> fed by whatever email server the organization is using. Typically the
> email server just has a catchall forwarder that copies all in- and
> outgoing messages to such an archive.
Indeed. Mail handling as "documents" is a very important requirement in most (big) DMSes(Document

Management Systems) these days, and it's also not easy to implement.

The problem I see however is that most big DMSes *don't* use JCR because it's slow when it
comes to
such big amount of documents (it's nice nice in theory but not in practice).

My experience is that if a (JCR) solution for mail archive wants to be usable to the potential
users
(much more than is JCR to CMSes and DMSes) performance should be the first and most important
feature.

just my 2 cents,

Ahmed.