james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "robert burrell donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JAMES technology uplift
Date Sun, 06 May 2007 16:41:15 GMT

> On May 6, 2007, at 6:26 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> >> the
> >> JCA

> >> They can definitely get a little convoluted, but you wouldn't need to
> >> support transacted delivery, security or outbound connections which
> >> does cut the problem space down considerably.  It'd definitely be a
> >> doable task.  If you were to try it I'd recommend liberally swiping
> >> ActiveMQ's Resoure Adapter code and just start tearing out bits and
> >> reworking it for James.  I'm sure they have unit tests for it and
> >> everything.
> >>
> >> It's actually something I've hoped would happen.  I know at some
> >> apachecon a couple years ago I cornered some poor JAMES developer and
> >> bored him for a good 45 minutes on the benefits of having a JAMES JCA
> >> adapter so people could write MDBs that consumed email.  Ok... so
> >> maybe I did that more than once :)
> >
> > there are some interesting possibilities in this area both inbound
> > and outbound
>
> I never really considered outbound as javamail sessions are already a
> built-in supported type for javaee.  What kind of neat things do you
> imagine?

both advanced and integrated email capabilities in java including
mix'n'match busing

rather than posting an email to a particular server using a particular
protocol, post to a mail queue. this could be the input spool of an
embedded email server, transport (either using a conventional email
protocol or a mail bus) to a remote email server or just another mail
to be processed by an MDB or mailet in a container (either local or
remote).

being protocol agnostic has a lot of advantages given the progress
which has been made on buses. shouldn't matter whether the mail is
transported through SMTP, IMAP, web services, JMS, HTTP or whatever.
the java developer should just post'n'go.

- robert