james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: i18n
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 19:16:47 GMT
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On 6/4/07, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
> > Robert wrote:
> >
> > > the IMAP protocol returns a lot of messages which must be
> appropriate
> > > for display on the client. ATM these messages are just hard-coded
> > > strings. it would probably be good to be able to reasonably easily
> > > localise them based on the user.
> > >
> > > opinions?
> >
> > I agree, I googled briefly for anything that might help us
> here and I
> > got this, dated June 2007, so fairly current! :-)
> >
> > "Internet Message Access Protocol Internationalization"
> > http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-imapext-i18n-01
>
> great!
>
> (i bow to your superior google-foo)
>
> > ... but it fails to meet your requirement because it has the
> > translations on the server.
>
> sorry for misleading you: IMAP protocol specification means that
> localisation on the server is the only reasonable approach. so, i was
> thinking about doing just that.
>
> it probably makes sense to replace the message strings in the james
> IMAP API with a interface that supports i18n. should probably factor
> create into a factory. factory method should take a string key so that
> it's easy to use the java i18n mechanism. unless any knows of a good
> reasons to do otherwise, might as well use standard Locale. something
> like:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/sandbox/design-do
odles/i18n/DisplayText.png

> opinions?

Take a look at http://www.icu-project.org/index.html. ICU4J is widely used
as it tends to be 1 or 2 major versions in front of what a JDK offers while
offering a stable target when supporting multiple JDK's.

I'm not clear how you intend to determine a useful locale for the reader of
the message from the server side. How would the target locale be obtained?

Cheers

-- Steve