james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Spring deployment
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:02:50 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> While I think that a spring class to read the avalon descriptor is cool
>  I also think it has a couple of drawbacks to take into consideration:
>
> 1) the avalon descriptor is in the phoenix function: in the current ant
> build you cannot make a function to depend on another functions. Maybe
> Robert has a solution for this.

I will base the work on
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/phoenix-deployment/src/conf/james-assembly.xml
We could easily move that into a generic conf module or so, if needed.

> 2) Spring beans configuration is much more powerful than avalon assembly
> descriptor, so reading the descriptor will give us big compatibility and
> simplicity in moving to spring, but won't let us to use the more
> expressive spring configurability.

This is a walk into an open field, not a dead-end road.
Spring offers many choices for configuring beans, not just XML.
I intend to add 1 more choice. You still would have all possibilities to
use additional and alternative configurations.
The bean factory I will create is for pure convenience.
This ia also regarding that we probably do not want to maintain 2
syntactically different but semantically identical deployment
descriptors (or even more if at some time someone creates a
Guice/HiveMind/whatever deployments). It provides the most simple way of
migration.

   Bernd