james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Spring deployment
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2007 10:26:31 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
>> Stefano Bagnara wrote:
>>> While I think that a spring class to read the avalon descriptor is cool
>>>  I also think it has a couple of drawbacks to take into consideration:
>>>
>>> 1) the avalon descriptor is in the phoenix function: in the current ant
>>> build you cannot make a function to depend on another functions. Maybe
>>> Robert has a solution for this.
>> I will base the work on
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/trunk/phoenix-deployment/src/conf/james-assembly.xml
>>
>> We could easily move that into a generic conf module or so, if needed.
>
> In future we'll probably split service classes from their own avalon
> wrappers. In that eventuality we'll have to point Avalonized wrappers in
> the assembly and POJOs in the spring xml.

I tried this approach and to get there will take quite some effort ;-)

> Btw I see your "current proposal" more as a cool spring based avalon
> container. So a replacement for Phoenix, while sticking to avalon.

Interesting observation.
In fact, currently, we are so heavily dependent on Avalon/Phoenix, that
Spring acts as a container-container.

> +1 on this: if this could be kept as generic as possible I think that
> also other avalon projects would be glad!

It is fully portable to other Phoenix projects. Probably not portable to
non-Phoenix Avalon projects. The reason is that, from my understanding,
Cornerstone components are only available for Phoenix.
Could be completely wrong here.

   Bernd