james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: JAMES 3.0 Milestone 1 or Alpha?
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:26:15 GMT
robert burrell donkin ha scritto:
> <snip>
>
>> In the mean time I also stopped trying to include my patches in current
>> trunk as my local branch diverged too much from the current code and
>> being not able to smoothly push a new branch and a shared goal I had to
>> take this sad decision.
>
> i know that i've been guilty of doing something similar but maybe it
> would make sense to at least keep the branch in the repository?
>
> - robert

WARN: veterans of the list may skip this, everything has already been
told previously.

Some fact:

1) To keep my local branch open source/ASF ready (write on my own every
piece of code and make sure of any legal requirement, do not use
GPL/LGPL code, add english javadocs, etc) is not for free.

2) The advantage of using an official released product instead of a
locally patched one is higher than the cost described at #1.

3) Features written by others come for free.

4) I enjoy collaboration and team-working WHEN I see the results.

#1 needs a return in #2, #3 and #4 or we have a no go.

I'm here since 2 years and I dedicated very much to #1 and got back
almost nothing from #2 (I currently have some official 2.3.1 servers in
production, while 2 years ago I was on local patched releases, but I
still have a very diverging branch for some server), almost nothing from
#3 and a partial results on #4 (mainly on jspf and some server component).

I spent more than 50% of my time discussing about things that produced
nothing good: too much resources wasted.

An active community where people help each other instead of simply
criticize and some interesting *code* for my use cases (I don't need
IMAP, so from here JAMES Server is stalled since 8 months) are 2 of the
missing requirements for me to start again #1.

Thank you for the question, and I hope we will be able to work together
on some concrete piece of code, sooner or later!

Stefano