james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: JDK 1.5 for the "next-major" ?
Date Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:48:19 GMT
Ahmed Mohombe ha scritto:
>>> Considering that there are no clear plans to release the "next-major"
>>> this year (or in the next few months), wouldn't it make more sense than
>>> to use JDK 1.5 (this in the context of already undergoing refactoring
>>> and restructure) ?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> Ahmed.
>>
>> I'm +1 to require java 5 for next JAMES Server, but I don't see this as
>> a critical issue: as soon as some developer will have a need for a java5
>> only feature he can call a vote.
> Simple examples that come right away into my mind:
> - JMX part of JDK 1.5, so there would be no need for 3rd party JMX libs
> => less things to maintain.
> - annotations:
>     - simplified testing
>     - @NotNull annotations for better code quality:
>     http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/documentation/howto.html
>          or
>         http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/docs/NullableHowTo.pdf
>
> just to mention a few.
>
> Ahmed.

Well, maybe I've not explained my concern. I *know* what's new in java5
as I mainly work on java5 currently. But I think this is something that
should start from an active developer and not from anyone else.

If an active developer is willing to use java5 stuff or thinks that
java5 would better fit his needs then he will call a vote.

Otherwise we discuss of nothing as we can agree on java 5 but if noone
will use java5 stuff in concrete in svn then we only waste time ;-)

I.e: let's wait for Robert opinion.

Stefano