james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Ahmed Mohombe <amoho...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: JMX, trunk and experiments!
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 10:30:20 GMT
> While IMAP does define sufficient defaults (mostly the port) JMX has
> many configuration options (built-in JMX server vs. third party,
> authentication vs. no authenticaion, credentials, IP-bindings, ports,
> protocols...).
You are the developers of JAMES so you *can* define JMX defaults too (in the context of JAMES),
that
you consider are a "best practice" or are better suited for your users.

> Do you see any reasonable defaults?
Yes, I do: the configuration that requires the smallest work amount from the user.
Also don't forget that this is for "experiments" and that you want users to give it a try
(and not
get scared by the impossibility to get it work).

So a minimal setup with JDK 1.5 JConsole and the JDK JMX server will just do it as long as
it "just
works out of the box", and there's a short description that describes *just* the steps needed
make it work.

Thanks in advance,

Ahmed.