james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge Knystautas" <sknystau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Mailet API] unhelpful messages in MailAddress
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2007 16:36:20 GMT
On 8/2/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/mailet/trunk/src/main/java/org/apache/mailet/MailAddress.java
> throws a number of ParseExceptions when it encounters malformed
> addresses. it gives some details but fails to include the text it was
> parsing. this would information would be very useful.

I must have missed the question on the mailet-dev mailing list, so
just will reply here.  The challenge I had was
javax.mail.InternetAddress does not require valid email addresses...
no hostnames, not much of anything.  MailAddress was supposed to then
be a strict version of the same thing.  Because
javax.mail.InternetAddress was already not an interface and I couldn't
hope to dual purpose, we were stuck with a less than perfect way to
handle this.

I didn't grok the need for a non-strict MailAddress, but if that's a
requirement, sounds like you've got a reasonable approach.  I would
like to keep (make?) it easy to switch between mailet's MailAddress
and javamail's InternetAddress, but that's probably just a small
component of a javamail replacement discussion.

--
Serge Knystautas
p. 301.656.5501