james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: Roadmap? Or maybe not... [WAS Re: [VOTE] next-major from trunk will be 3.0]
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 08:40:51 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> The same happened from 2.2 to 2.3 when I had to brake config.xml
>> compatibility so to have a better architecture in 2.3. Currently the
>> "goal" was even more ambitious than the 2.3 as we wanted to introduce
>> much more new things but without braking config.xml compatibility.
>
> this is a classic case of evolution verses revolution
>
> you wanted a revolution but ended up evolving the existing code base.
> architecture by stealth typically creates community issues and so is
> best avoided.
>
> given a more modular structure for the server, it should be possible
> to include revolutionary forks within trunk. subversion is very
> flexible and bug fixes made in the base can be merged to the fork.
> backwards compatibility can then be maintain by using the more mature
> code as default.

You seems so secure about what happened and what was the problem.
There has never been stealth in my behaviour. NEVER: I'd like to know
how did you created such opinion (hope not talking with Noel or Danny,
but instead reading some old thread)
If you are really right then it was a pity that no one understood this
in the last 2 years and no one proposed such a solution.
I still don't think *this* was the solution to the problem, but I will
be happy to be convinced by facts.

>> Btw this is a non-issue as long as no one is currently working on core
>> stuff.
>
> it all depends on what you mean by core stuff. the changes you're
> proposing are entirely peripheral to me. it sounds to me that your
> proposal could be easily including in the existing code base by
> revolutionary forking of the spool management module.

We will discuss again about this once you will have had the opportunity
to work more on core interfaces/libraries ;-)

>>> i'm just doing what seems right to me
>> We all know you're pushing your own goals :-P :-P
>
> everyone has their own itches to scratch: mine is a working IMAP but
> i'm not particularly bothered whether it's released or not

I was joking.

> with my apache hat on, i'd like to see the JAMES community stronger
> and healthier so i'm willing to do what i can to help
>
> - robert

This was my main goal, too: I dedicated a lot of my time trying to help
new people joining JAMES. I really hope Norman, Joachim and Bernd
recognized this.

Stefano