james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: ext directory [WAS Re: Imap Function]
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 22:19:46 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> Then, wouldn't it be better to have this sar packager also in the binary
>> build?
>
> i was planning to take the easy route and implement by just adding a
> copy from a directory into the SAR when it's created

Don't worry, I understood this. I suggested the idea because it seemed
more useful to me, and I know you are very comfortable with ant: and
sometimes others have simple solutions to our complex ideas ;-)

>> In fact it does not build anything from source: it only has to take the
>> original SAR, replace the config.xml and add some library.
>>
>> Maybe the tool (another ant script) would also be useful to people
>> downloading the binary distribution (well, in fact it is only a zip
>> file, but I saw some user has problems working with it).
>
> i agree that a SAR manipulation tool would be useful for the binary
> distribution. IIRC pheonix ships an ant task for this. would need to
> think about whether documentation on customisation would be better
> than an actual script.
>
> - robert

Maybe it's time to split the sar generation from the phoenix-deployment.
This way we could have a module building the sar and another module that
takes the sar and place it in the phoenix distribution to create a
binary build. The ant script used for this last action could be almost
the same used by the binary distribution to create custom sar.
I don't know if the api-library-function-deployment layers are enough to
do that.

Just another thought out of the box,
Stefano