james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernd Fondermann" <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Developer environment
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 07:55:17 GMT
On 8/2/07, Zsombor <gzsombor@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 8/1/07, Zsombor <gzsombor@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  What is the simplest way to start James in debug mode in Eclipse
> > currently?
> > > Is it possible, or everyone runs/test it outside of a VM? To figure out
> > the
> > > whole SAR/Phoenix/classloader mess is not simple.
> >
> > i run it in a separate VM and ask eclipse to attach to it
> >
> > when you start pheonix, you need to add something like
> >
> > -Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5000
> >
> > to PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS
> >
> > here's an snippet from my bash script:
> >
> > PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS="$PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS -Xdebug
> > -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5000"
> > export PHOENIX_JVM_OPTS
> >
> > - robert
> >

> You mean, that every time you made a change, you create a new sar file, copy
> that to a phoenix lib, and you start with that script ? It's a little bit
> elaborate process, isn't it ?

It depends. If you only make simple changes, Eclipse + JVM are able to
replace the compiled code while running. If you change class
signatures (remove/add method etc.) you'd have to run the whole build
process and restart the server.

I'd agree this is too complicated. Eventually, we get James to run
from Spring, so the turnaround should at least become somewhat
quicker.

  Bernd