james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [JSieve] Sporadic Mysterious Exceptions
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2007 19:40:19 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> So, was this simply a test for us?? You already found that.. was it a
>> secret?? :-P
>
> i only found one problem: you and bernd found another three. i'd much
> rather do a comprehensive job than quickly commit a partial fix.

I was joking :-)
Great team work! This is what I like to see! (and I like it even more
when I have simply to look some source file and you do the commits and
test it :-) ).

>> Next time just share also the solutions and not only the problem :-P
>
> i'm not convinced that it's really working correctly. the other areas
> need fixing as well or they're just going to break again.
>
>> Let's hope at least it really works properly :-)
>
> it's just in my local fork. would prefer a more comprehensive solution
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JSIEVE-10 suggests removing the
> singletons and injecting the dependency instead. not sure how much
> work that is likely to be.
>
> - robert

As a personal approach I try to avoid static fields (singletons, thread
locals and anything else using static fields) at all costs, but I know
I'm a bit extreme at this.

That said I don't have any knowledge on the jSieve architecture so I can
only give you my +1 to remove them, but I will not be able to help or to
estimate the complexity.

Thank you,
Stefano

PS: it is cool to see you active on mime4j and jsieve. They really
needed some more care after so many years alone.