james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Sergio" <paulo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing IMAP with Web Services [WAS Re: Imap Function]
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 13:06:47 GMT
On 8/2/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/1/07, Paulo Sergio <pauloslf@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > (this

> interesting

> > > just for the repository-push parts of the specification or do you plan
> > > to use SEDA for the repository access?
> >

> > as this project is yet an experience, i don't know yet  witch parts will
> use
> > the web service, but for now it should be only for the repository parts.
> > I don't know much  about  SEDA (just that it is a architecture to handle
> > huge number of concurrent services).
>
> just wondered whether you had it in mind to use asynchronous or
> synchronous messaging for the repository access

i will use the web services for  authentication and  message/folder
operations

> > (i have long term interests in REST based mail protocols)

> > > existing
> > > both
> > >
> > > sounds like a good reason to me ;-)
> > >
> > > are you working to existing web service APIs?
> >

> > what do you mean? i'm working with a web service that i'm developing...
>
> just wondered whether there are existing web services you need to
> interface to or whether you plan to develop an API from scratch

i'm developing an api from scratch because i need to adapt  it to my
backend, i will hook the service at a higher level, and replace the
repository calls using the web service, again: as this is just an experiment
things can change :)

the reason why i ask is that i've had it in mind for a while to take
> another look at the repository API: it's very big and general. i'd
> like to present a more compact API to the processor code so that it's
> easier to create alternative repository implementations.

An easy (and compact) API will probably make integrations with existing
backends easier. But in my specific project i believe that not using this
layer (repository) is a good option..  or maybe not if we think about
scalability..

Paulo F.