james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Paulo Sergio" <paulo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Imap Idle Command
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 22:24:44 GMT
Hi Robert,

On 8/16/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/16/07, Paulo Sergio <pauloslf@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> hi paulo
>
> > are there any plans to implement the Imap Idle command?
>
> no immediate ones ;-)
>
> > i will need it to a project that i'm developing, so if there are no
> plans to
> > develop it,
> > i will work on it myself.
>
> glad to have a volunteer :-)
>
> > but i might need some help.
>
> not a problem
>
> > what would  be the right approach to do it?
> > i probably should add imap idle to the command library, and then add a
> > processor to handle the request,
> > but how should i keep the connection open?
>
> an IMAP client creates and holds open a connection to the server
> throughout. the problem is that the current handler uses only one
> thread.
>
> > to send the notifications back to the client?
>
> this means moving to a SEDA based design.

but do you think i have to switch to a SEDA architecture ?  or SEDA  would
just be a better  option?

the medium term aim would be
> to move to MINA and nio but in the short term, a three thread
> implementation (input, output, processor) is a stepping stone which
> would probably be satisfactory for IDLE. this should be relatively
> easy to implement.

yes i think Mina is a good choice, it seems to have a lot people working
with it, and i've seen some good reviews about it.
but is these just an idea or there is really a plan to implement it?

Cheers,
Paulo F.

the refactoring needs to be continued so that the encoders are not fed