james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ext directory [WAS Re: Imap Function]
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 19:51:29 GMT
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

> >> What is the use case for this need?
> >>
> >> Ironically I ask this question because adding a folder to be packaged in
> >> the sar was the first thing I did in my local JAMES Server 3 years ago
> >> when I started using it. I then removed it because it did not save me
> >> from any manual task ;-)
> >>
> >> I'm no more able to figure an application of such "directory": whenever
> >> you add a jar you also have to change the config and the config most
> >> time have to be changed in the deployed folder once the sar has been
> >> exploded. When you do this you can also copy the needed jars.
> >
> > ATM to produce a completely configured alternative SAR, the
> > configuration and the build file need to be edited. with an ext
> > directory only the configuration files would need to be altered.
> >
> > - robert
>
> Then, wouldn't it be better to have this sar packager also in the binary
> build?

i was planning to take the easy route and implement by just adding a
copy from a directory into the SAR when it's created

> In fact it does not build anything from source: it only has to take the
> original SAR, replace the config.xml and add some library.
>
> Maybe the tool (another ant script) would also be useful to people
> downloading the binary distribution (well, in fact it is only a zip
> file, but I saw some user has problems working with it).

i agree that a SAR manipulation tool would be useful for the binary
distribution. IIRC pheonix ships an ant task for this. would need to
think about whether documentation on customisation would be better
than an actual script.

- robert