james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing IMAP with Web Services [WAS Re: Imap Function]
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 12:51:44 GMT
On 8/1/07, Paulo Sergio <pauloslf@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > (this

> > > yep
> >
> > just for the repository-push parts of the specification or do you plan
> > to use SEDA for the repository access?
>

> as this project is yet an experience, i don't know yet  witch parts will use
> the web service, but for now it should be only for the repository parts.
> I don't know much  about  SEDA (just that it is a architecture to handle a
> huge number of concurrent services).

just wondered whether you had it in mind to use asynchronous or
synchronous messaging for the repository access

> > (i have long term interests in REST based mail protocols)

> > > yep
> > > this work is just an experimentation with adding Imap support to an
> > existing
> > > framework, and the web-services seem to be  the right way to connect
> > both
> > > systems
> >
> > sounds like a good reason to me ;-)
> >
> > are you working to existing web service APIs?
>

> what do you mean? i'm working with a web service that i'm developing...

just wondered whether there are existing web services you need to
interface to or whether you plan to develop an API from scratch

the reason why i ask is that i've had it in mind for a while to take
another look at the repository API: it's very big and general. i'd
like to present a more compact API to the processor code so that it's
easier to create alternative repository implementations.

- robert