james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Backing IMAP with Web Services [WAS Re: Imap Function]
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:52:03 GMT
On 8/2/07, Paulo Sergio <pauloslf@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > > An easy (and compact) API will probably make integrations with existing
> > > backends easier. But in my specific project i believe that not using
> > this
> > > layer (repository) is a good option..  or maybe not if we think about
> > > scalability..
> >
> > so, i guess you'll be reimplementing the processing layer then?
>

> good question.. i don't know yet.. where do you think it would be the right
> place to insert the web service methods?
> do you think i will need to reimplement the processing layer?

dunno :-)

the decoding layer breaks the input into a stream of messages. the
processing layer processes these commands by calling the repository
layer then returning response messages. these response are then
encoded into a byte stream by the encoding layer.

implementing a new processing layer means creating an implementation
for each IMAP command. this gives a lot more control and flexibility.

implementing a new repository layer should mean less work but forces
you to reuse the processing layer and to implement the current
repository layer API. IMHO this is too general and you may find
difficulties creating quickly a good implementation.

- robert