james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Imap Idle Command
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:07:04 GMT
On 8/16/07, Paulo Sergio <pauloslf@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,

hi paulo

> are there any plans to implement the Imap Idle command?

no immediate ones ;-)

> i will need it to a project that i'm developing, so if there are no plans to
> develop it,
> i will work on it myself.

glad to have a volunteer :-)

> but i might need some help.

not a problem

> what would  be the right approach to do it?
> i probably should add imap idle to the command library, and then add a
> processor to handle the request,
> but how should i keep the connection open?

an IMAP client creates and holds open a connection to the server
throughout. the problem is that the current handler uses only one
thread.

> to send the notifications back to the client?

this means moving to a SEDA based design. the medium term aim would be
to move to MINA and nio but in the short term, a three thread
implementation (input, output, processor) is a stepping stone which
would probably be satisfactory for IDLE. this should be relatively
easy to implement.

the refactoring needs to be continued so that the encoders are not fed
by a direct call but via messaging.

one area which is going to require some legwork is the mailbox. each
mailbox session (currently misnamed as mailbox) needs to feed events
to a mailbox which can be subscribed to. this will allow any session
to listen to changes made in any other. the IDLE processor should poll
the IMAP sessions for changes, create messages and then send them down
the pipe.

(might be easier for me to explain this in a JIRA)

- robert