james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject How to handle BSD licensed non-ASF copyrighted source files?
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:19:46 GMT
Hi,

we (Apache JAMES project) wrote a "micro" dns-server that is able to
provide fake replies upon configuration (also timeouts) based on a YAML
configuration [1].

To create the micro dns server I studied dnsjava [2] source code and I
started up from the jnamed.java source code [3]. "jnamed.java" is a
single java file that can be found in the source distribution of dnsjava
2.0.5 and is not included in the binary library.

dnsjava is distributed under the BSD license [4] and the only comments
in the file header are:
// Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Brian Wellington (bwelling@xbill.org)
and
/** @author Brian Wellington &lt;bwelling@xbill.org&gt; */

I refactored the code a lot for my purposes, and splitted it into
multiple files. So the code "looks" different, but it is almost the same
thing.

What is the correct way to manage Copyright/Licensing in a similar scenario?

What should the headers look like? Where should I write that that work
is based on a BSD work by Brian Wellington ?

At the moment we placed both the ASF-ASLv2 header and this one:
------------------
// ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE
// ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE ATTENTION PLEASE
//
// Part of this class have been inspired and copy&pasted from the
jnamed.java
// file found in the root of the dnsjava-2.0.5 distribution file.
//
// The Copyright for the original work is:
// Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Brian Wellington (bwelling@xbill.org)
//
// The License for the dnsjava-2.0.5 package is BSD
---------------------------

Then in the NOTICE file we added this sentence:
-------------------
This product includes/uses software, DNSJava (http://www.dnsjava.org/),
developed by Brian Wellington
License: 3 Clauses BSD license
(http://www.dnsjava.org/dnsjava-current/README)

Some of the DNS-aware tests have been inspired by DNSJava test code
written and copyrighted by Brian Wellington, too.
------------------

Is this OK/enough? Is there a better solution?

In general I did not find any documentation/guideline about copy/pasting
full classes or code snippets from non ASF projects distributed under a
specific license. I only find guidelines about inclusion/redistribution
of unchanged JARs.

Any help is appreciated.
Stefano

[1]