james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Bernd Fondermann <bf_...@brainlounge.de>
Subject Re: Logging Framework for James/Spring
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:18:43 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
>> While commons-logging seems a good choice at first sight, after
>> thinking about it for a while, I now think we should go for the second
>> option.
>
> I'm not sure I understand: our code already directly depends on both
> Avalon-Framework-Loggers and Common-Logging-Logger.
> Is this topic to talk about the API to use in our code or the
> implementation to link from spring.xml ?

The latter. All code going into James/Phoenix is not changed for
James/Spring.
This is all about where James/Spring delegates component logs, because
in this deployment, our components get a replacement logger injected. It
acts as a bridge to any concrete logger.

This also respects what you consider an anti-pattern: having a static
Logger object declared in every class. At the same time it preserves
most of the conveniences of using all established logging frameworks.

As you point out, other frameworks might be already on the James classpath.
But as users might like to integrate James with an
environment/server/application of their choice, they'd might like the
option to use their preferred or preset API.

So, this discussion has no implications whatsoever on James' components
and James/Phoenix.

   Bernd