james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [Mime4J] Support For Non-Streaming Inputs
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 17:34:24 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> the disadvantage with using a byte array rather than a bytebuffer is
> that direct bytebuffers would have to copy their data out into a byte
> array.  using a byte buffer at the lowest level would solve this issue
> without really an added overhead for the bio case (just create a byte
> array backed buffer and then fill that buffer from the inputstream).

Given my background in real-time, embedded, systems, I'd like to see us
improving performance, and doing a lot less movement of data.  So I'm in
favor of changes that reduce data movement.

Here's a question for the lot of you: is this similar to DOM vs SAX, and if
so, can we come up with a StAX solution?  Just go with the analogy, but the
issue is a best of both worlds.

	--- Noel