james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move spring-deployment module to TRUNK
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 14:00:59 GMT
Noel J. Bergman ha scritto:
> I will go on record that I oppose a move to Spring, and have said so on
> multiple occassions.  However, I do not oppose optional support for Spring.
>
> So long as we are agreed on that, I'm +1 to on the latter.

I think I can confirm that the support is optional.

The spring module is a standalone module with dependencies on the other
modules, but none of our other modules will depend on the spring module.

>> As a consequence, we would be able to release a Spring-container-based
>> Server runtime besides our regular Avalon-based.
>
> I'll start another thread on Avalon.
>
> How much does your proposed merger effect the stability of code that
> couldn't care less about Spring, e.g., the Avalon-based release?
>
> 	--- Noel

AFAIK nothing changed in our "main" code in order to support the spring
integration. Bernd did a great job in writing an almost generic Avalon
container implementation based on Spring. Furthermore "his" container
supports the phoenix config.xml/assembly.xml out of the box.

At the moment the spring deployment is still avalon-based. The only
component replaced by Bernd is Phoenix, not Avalon.

That said the spring container will also make it simpler to integrate
non-avalon components.

I bet the spring deployment will be very appreciated by that part of our
users that are also java developers.

Stefano