james-server-dev mailing list archives

From berndf <ber...@apache.org>
Subject [Proposal] Move Spring-Deployment module to TRUNK
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 05:43:59 GMT
Hi,

The experimental spring-deployment module in sandbox is ready for
integration with trunk, IMHO.

This deployment is useful as a standalone server as well as for
embedding James in an already existing Spring-Application or for very
simple extensibility by adding custom service beans (for example, new
repository impls).

It does not change any code from other modules and uses configuration
files from phoenix-deployment unchanged, too.

I will put out a vote in a _separate_ thread in a week or so, this
thread is intended just for discussing the proposal.

The module is currently untested on Windows.

If you want to test it, just svn checkout
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/server/sandbox/spring-integration

then copy over james-server*.jars from trunk, for example by executing
    cp trunk/stage/org.apache.james/jars/james-server-* \
       spring-integration/stage/org.apache.james/jars/

then
    cd spring-deployment
    ant
to create a deployment, or even start the server by issuing
    ant run

Note: This module only generates a binary distribution since we already
have a source code distribution. We'd have to add the new module to it
to have it complete.

Future plans:
I plan to use James/Spring as a basis to demonstrate integration with
Tomcat and Geronimo. By "demonstrate" I mean, this would be done in a
sandbox but is not intended for later trunk integration. Don't know when
I get around to do this, it's just a plan.

   Bernd

Credits: Thanks to Robert for modularizing TRUNK. This made my work so
much easier.