james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [JSieve] pom's in stage
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:22:42 GMT
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> > On 9/30/07, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:

<snip>

> > an alternative would be create our own pom's. the critical meta-data
> > (dependencies) is probably not copyrightable. see
> > http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/originality-requirements.html.
> > this probably needs raising on legal-discuss.
> >
> > - robert
>
> If we choose this way then we probably should use also a different
> groupId/artifactId because of the way maven works. Otherwise if our poms
> declare different dependencies or have any other difference maven will
> behave differently depending on random events (the artifacts are
> permanently installed in the local repository, first win.. once they
> have been installed by us they will be taken for "good" also from other
> projects that probably will instead work with the "original" pom)

we have

category A - contains AL2.0 license header:
 * james
 * maven-skin
 * excaliber
 * avalon

category B - derived from AL2.0'd source:
 * commons beanutils
 * commons logging
 * commons digester
 * log4j

category C - minimal, no license:
 * oro
 * junit
 * activation

category D - full, probably copyright sun:
 * mail

A are no problem

for B, i think that the best policy would be to use to originals
(rather than the transformed copeis). the differences are likely to be
minimal and IHMO the minimal chance of difference between online and
offline builds is worth the risk

for C, these contain so little information that we can safely create
original works without a risk of difference between online and offline
builds.

for D, i think that we should approach sun for license clarification.
in the meantime, we remove the pom and add a readme asking people to
download it.

opinions?

- robert