james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Bagnara <apa...@bago.org>
Subject Re: [IMAP] MessageResult += Content
Date Fri, 02 Nov 2007 00:34:17 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>> I'm not sure I understand the size in octect. You write a StringBuffer,
>> so it is an unicode string, how can you calculate the real octects if
>> you don't know the charset/encoding that will be used when the buffer
>> will be written out?
>
> the content must be prior encoded into US-ASCII. probably should be javadoc'd.

At least SMTP supports 8bitmime feature and binary encoding. Do you mean
that we'll have to re-encode that messages in order to store them using
the MailboxManager API ?

I've not even investigated this option, but before thinking what the
real problems could be I want to be sure I'm understanding what you propose!

Stefano