james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [MailboxAPI] Factories Factories Factories
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:42:07 GMT

> I think that we need to revisit the whole area.  I don't consider much of
> the code in the trunk more than experimental directions that various people
> went in without much rhyme, reason or discussion.  And I have no difficulty
> at all with the idea of punting most of the crap out of trunk.

In that case we should be replacing it with something which has been
designed to fit requirements.

> Personally, I could argue for standardizing on a single implementation based
> on JCR, and providing import and/or export support for various formats, such
> as our current file-based and db-based format, maildir and mbox.

I'd rather we abstracted, I think the interchangeable implementations
are one of James' strengths. Paradoxically if we hadn't had that then
it wouldn't have been possible for Jukka to build the JCR POC so
easily, and we'd probably still be thinking that it would be neat to
try.

> Likewise, I'd be just as happy to move to and standardize on a user
> repository based on LDAP, using ApacheDS by default and able to plug into
> other LDAP systems.  I am a bit less concerned about this area, though.  The
> only place where I feel that LDAP offers a value to us is with user
> credentials (e.g., SMTP AUTH and/or S/MIME certificates).

I think standardising on LDAP is probably a sensible pragmatic
approach as every man and his dog seems happy to use LDAP these days.

d.