james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Users] Add support for user meta-data? [WAS Re: [MailboxAPI] Delete]
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2007 13:53:21 GMT
On 06/11/2007, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Zsombor suggests object storage.

> (not sure i have a strong preference)
>
> opinions?

There are two approaches, and they are mutually exclusive, they are..

1/ Start from a strongly typed and controlled structure (like
"UserMetaData") and extend it with each new use-case. This approach
might help to mitigate upgrade compatibility issues, but has an
analysis and design overhead.

2/ The other approach would be to go for the most general, which is
anything Serializable, and leave upgrade compatibility in the hands of
the gods.

I would tend to come down on the side of 2/ because I'm not convinced
that we can justify the amount of engineering involved in 1, and I
already like the relaxed approach that servlet session has. You can
build rigour on top of a loose framework but not the other way around.

d.