james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: [MailboxAPI] Factories Factories Factories
Date Tue, 06 Nov 2007 20:50:26 GMT
> the mailbox API is abundently provided with abstract factories

> hopefully someone will jump in here to explain the history behind this
design...

I think that we need to revisit the whole area.  I don't consider much of
the code in the trunk more than experimental directions that various people
went in without much rhyme, reason or discussion.  And I have no difficulty
at all with the idea of punting most of the crap out of trunk.

Personally, I could argue for standardizing on a single implementation based
on JCR, and providing import and/or export support for various formats, such
as our current file-based and db-based format, maildir and mbox.

Likewise, I'd be just as happy to move to and standardize on a user
repository based on LDAP, using ApacheDS by default and able to plug into
other LDAP systems.  I am a bit less concerned about this area, though.  The
only place where I feel that LDAP offers a value to us is with user
credentials (e.g., SMTP AUTH and/or S/MIME certificates).

	--- Noel