james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMAP] MessageResult += Content
Date Sat, 03 Nov 2007 08:11:57 GMT
On Nov 2, 2007 7:22 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > the content must be prior encoded into US-ASCII. probably should be javadoc'd.
> >
> > At least SMTP supports 8bitmime feature and binary encoding. Do you mean
> > that we'll have to re-encode that messages in order to store them using
> > the MailboxManager API ?
>
> this is an output API: the input API is a different matter
>
> IMHO the MailboxAPI should be liberal in what it accepts but precise
> in what it outputs

there is a fundemantal conflict between the needs of a system that
just wants to store a MimeMessage quickly and then retrieve it a small
number of times with absolute fidelity at some future time, and the
needs of protocols that need to read that data quickly many times.

for example, examining every byte and then normalising line endings is
expensive if it's done for every read. it should be done before the
message is stored. however, simply normalising means losing
information.

- robert