james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMAP] MessageResult += Content
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:59:51 GMT
On Nov 5, 2007 9:01 AM, Stefano Bagnara <apache@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> > in order to create a usable IMAP server, reading meta-data must be
> > very fast and reading normal (non-MIME) mail fast. to create an IMAP
> > server which will run on a machine of moderate power, meta-data
> > reading and normal message reading must not consume a lot of memory.
>
> Do you know what are the "queries" made by most common IMAP clients?

yes but it depends on the client

IMAP suffers from design by committee: there are typically several
different mechanisms to achieve any one goal

> If we know what are the metadata/data required at opening we can try to
> optimize them.

yep (that's this is all about :-)

but full message speed is an effective barrier to adoption since it
imposes an effective practical upper limit on the size of mailboxes
and on the number of concurrent clients that can be supported by the
server

> Is it only metadata+headers or they also ask something about bodies
> (excluding length) during the opening?

the meta-data includes information about the structure body content
including access to the MIME meta-data and encoding. also other
assorted data such as number of lines.

- robert