james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Users] Add support for user meta-data? [WAS Re: [MailboxAPI] Delete]
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:25:10 GMT
On Nov 7, 2007 1:53 PM, Danny Angus <danny@apache.org> wrote:
> On 06/11/2007, Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Zsombor suggests object storage.

> > (not sure i have a strong preference)
> >
> > opinions?
>
> There are two approaches, and they are mutually exclusive, they are..
>
> 1/ Start from a strongly typed and controlled structure (like
> "UserMetaData") and extend it with each new use-case. This approach
> might help to mitigate upgrade compatibility issues, but has an
> analysis and design overhead.
>
> 2/ The other approach would be to go for the most general, which is
> anything Serializable, and leave upgrade compatibility in the hands of
> the gods.
>
> I would tend to come down on the side of 2/ because I'm not convinced
> that we can justify the amount of engineering involved in 1, and I
> already like the relaxed approach that servlet session has. You can
> build rigour on top of a loose framework but not the other way around.

sounds like there's a consensus in favour of option 2

should probably recommend key domain namespacing (for example, JAMES
properties should use keys starting org.apache.james)

been having a think about this. would be good to use this API for
other user related data for example the user sieve file. this means
that would need to be able to store binary and textual documents. i
suggest nio channels for the binary API and reader/writer for text
documents and that isolate keyspaces are used (for example, the text
document keyed org.apache.james.sieve would be different from a binary
document or serialized property with the same name).

opinions?

anyone want to volunteer to create a basic implemenation?

- robert