james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Kirill Kosinov <kirill.kosi...@gmail.com>
Subject GSoC james-mladmin
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:40:25 GMT
Goog day.

Noel, thank you for answer to my previous post in
general@james.apache.org mailing list
(GSoC james-mladmin questions).

So i want to propose more conceit idea. At first i would like to define
some concepts. I'm a student not a james commiter and i want to explain
what i understand by word moderation.

I have red, that there are two distinct kinds of mailing list
moderation: a moderated subscription process and moderated posting.

I'll begin with moderated posting :-). Let's imagine that we have a user
who has two mail addresses, one of them is on Subscribe List, the second
is not. User writes two letters from different addresses, JAMES can
determine posting privileges (imagine that we have posting privileges)
and send mail into Subscribe List, second message will be forwarded to
moderator (who recognizes that these messages were sent by the same
individual using different email addresses, the moderator may approve
the second message because he knows the individual who sent it).

What about current functionality. As i understood subscribing process is
handled by CommandListservManager from transport package (uses command
behavioral pattern),
mailet uses UserRepository (just a folder as i understood), if user
executes subscribe-confirm
command, JAMES adds new user to repository. When message comes
toCommandListservManager it is forwarded to users in UserRepository of
Subscribe List.

For handling messages james uses visitor patter, asking all registred
mailets, so i
think for moderation new mailet is required.

What we need to implement moderation. At first i think that we need
implement User interface
or extend DefaultUser (to store posting permissions, moderation
attributes and subscription type, something like 'Regular', 'Digest',
'Allow'), may be create a subscription object. Second is moderation list
entity, as i understood JAMES hasn't this and that's why if i want to
use moderated configuration settings (things like 'Anyone can post but
all posts are moderated', 'Subscribers can post and all others
moderated', 'Subscribers can post, all others are rejected, and all
posts are moderated' and 'Only moderators can post ') i have to create
this, or to add attribute in mailet...

I used remote debugging and API docs to understand JAMES functionality,
may be i missed
something or my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

In conclusion i want to summarize that i want to implement mailets for
post moderation (using list
moderation type) and subscription types.