james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: 2.3.x vs trunk [WAS Re: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject]
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 06:49:09 GMT
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> I think it is a different story. That branch involved much less code than
> current v2.3-trunk differences but included major changes to mailet api.

Yes, much less code.  More code ==> more bugs.  And you certainly aren't
going to claim that there aren't major changes in trunk from the known-good
code.

> I don't agree that the only way to produce quality is to compare with
> previous work.

The only way?  No.  Total disregard?  No to that, too.

> The fact that you don't know what is in trunk because you had no time to
> review most commits doesn't mean that this is the same for everyone else
> here.

Actually, (a) you have no idea what I review, and (b) I will bet you that
almost no one is reviewing a fraction of the commits.  That's part of our
dysfunction as a community.  Out of Serge, Danny, myself, Vincenzo, Soren,
Steve, Norman, Robert, Bernd and anyone else whom I've missed, how many
pairs of eyes do you believe are reviewing each commit?  My guess is 2-3,
tops, on average, including the committer.

> IMO there is no need at all to merge v2.3 and trunk this time.

I agree with you, but who suggested such a thing?

> This time we had no single fix in v2.3 that has not been done in trunk
too.

It isn't a matter of what is fixed in trunk.  Hey, every appropriate fix
that went into MS-Windows XP went into MS-Windows Vista, too, but that
doesn't make MS-Windows Vista any less a diasterous load of digital garbage.
For that matter, I am currently testing Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04.  Guess what?
The new kernel in 8.04 (still Alpha) has major functional regressions
compared to 7.10.  New code, new designs, new bugs.

> If you exclude IMAP most code has changed BEFORE the code reorganization.
> So it should be easier than you think. You will see that since dicember
2006
> we had very limited changes in the sources (if you exclude IMAP and its
> dependencies).  It is a lot of code, because we implemented a lot of
> features and fixed a lot of long standing issues in our services API.

So you propose that we first vet v2.3.0 against a pre-reorg revision of
trunk, and then compare the current trunk against the first post-reorg
revision?

	--- Noel