james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject 2.3.x vs trunk [WAS Re: [VOTE] Mailets -> Mailet subproject]
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 22:46:55 GMT
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
>  It sounds OK, so +1 in general, but with all of the refactoring, we've
>  making it increasingly difficult to compare versions of JAMES.  This would
>  not be so bad if we had ever made a stable baseline prior to the
>  refactorings, but instead we started with unstable baselines and refactored,
>  meaning that we will have to do considerable manual comparison between the
>  only known stable JAMES code (2.3.0) with its known defects and the current
>  trunk(s) for JAMES and Mailets.

trunk was forked from 2.3.0 several years ago now and contains
significant differences not only in organisation but also design. i
doubt whether anyone has the time required to perform a comprehensive
manual comparison now whether the mailets are in trunk or elsewhere.

i think that moving the mailets into a separate project should make
things move managable. the mailets moved can be compared with 2.3.x
and (once this has been done) a single consolidated library can used
for both 2.x and 3.x releases (as well as trunk).

- robert