james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Burrell Donkin" <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [mime4J] MessageSearcher...? [WAS Re: [Mime4J] getReader]
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2008 09:53:41 GMT
On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
>  <robertburrelldonkin@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  does the message searcher (which searches a mail for a particular
>  >  sequence of characters)  sounds like something which might be
>  >  generally useful addition to Mime4J?
>
>  A search feature is typically only useful when applied to a collection
>  of messages, so I'm not sure if something like that really makes sense
>  in the scope of Mime4J.

the object i had in mind performs a character search of the bodies and
fields of one MIME document. this isn't a byte-wise but
character-based search which requires decoding of transfer encodings
and setting appropriate charsets. the function isn't complex but
getting the decoding right for each part is a little fiddly and
requires an understanding of MIME encoding.

- robert